Back-to-school is upon us and I so need to get back into a routine! This turkey pizza meatloaf uses three different turkey meats to make the ultimate weeknight comfort food!
This is a sponsored post. I was fortunate enough to receive monetary compensation and/or products from Canadian Turkey. Though compensation was received, all opinions are my own and I would not recommend a product that I did not enjoy.
Not only am I back with a Canadian Turkey recipe today, but this is my first official #2meals1recipe post in a long time!
Late summer nights, fun day trips, and spending all my time with kiddo has thrown my schedule off whack but I am back in full swing! Beginning now until the end of December I will be back to my regular posting schedule 🙂
Speaking of schedules and routine, today's turkey pizza meatloaf fits right into our topics!
With summer coming to an end, it is time to think about back-to-school recipes, along with office lunches and snacks. We need all the help we can to create quick and easy weeknight meals, all the while remaining healthy (and delicious!)
I know my schedule will be eaten up again with extra curricular activities, so meal prep/batch-cooking is more important than ever.
When it came to creating a new Canadian Turkey recipe, I knew this pizza meatloaf would do the trick! Simple, tasty, and packed full of lean protein, this was a HUGE hit with both my daughter and husband. "By far the best meatloaf you have made," is just one of the compliments I heard 🙂
Honestly, I cannot say enough positive things about this recipe!
You can make a bunch to freeze (even go as far as making mini versions in muffin tins.) It is healthy and nutritious (sure, we have some cheese in there, but dairy is a nice part of our diets!) And it is loaded with Canadian Turkey!
When it comes to back-to-school recipes, remember that Canadian Turkey is your friend. You can:
- Batch it! Perfect for freezing and meal prep (and leftovers!)
- Get healthy! Great source of protein and nutrients.
- Keep it simple! You can cook turkey ahead of time to freeze (perfect for homemade pizza night!)
- Change things up! There are so many turkey cuts out there so you can get creative!
- Boost it! Turkey can be added to so many meals: think soups, salads, and pastas!
So don't stress out like me when it comes to back-to-school! Meal prep ahead and plan for some delicious recipes this fall 🙂
- 1 lb (450 g) extra lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1 small onion, diced (about ¼ cup)
- 4 oz mushrooms, diced (about ¼ cup)
- ½ green pepper, diced (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup homemade pizza sauce (or store-bought!) + more for topping
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I used half Panko half Italian)
- ½ tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 3 oz pepperoni, roughly chopped (you can leave some whole for the top of the meatloaf)
- 5 slices turkey bacon, cooked and roughly chopped (roughly 2-3 oz cooked)
- ¾ - 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT cheese into a large mixing bowl. Mix until JUST combined. Overworking the meat will make it tough.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place about half the mixture into a loaf pan (I use a standard glass bread loaf pan: 9 inches, by 5 inches, by 2 inches.) Press a hole into the centre, working the meat up the sides a bit. Add ½ cup of grated cheese (or more if desired, but just remember you need to cover the cheese!!) Add remaining meat and cover the cheese. Press down until even across the top.
- Add meatloaf to oven and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove and place a couple of tablespoons of pizza sauce, extra turkey pepperoni, cooked turkey bacon, and remaining cheese onto meatloaf.
- Place back into oven and continue cooking until internal temperature reaches 165F, about 40 more minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool slightly, carefully remove, slice and serve! Or slice right in the pan!
You can free-hand your meatloaf onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper if you do not have a loaf pan. When removing meatloaf from loaf pan, try inverting onto a cutting board or plate and quickly turning right side up so you don't lose the topping! Add more pizza toppings as you see fit (or take them away!)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 500Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 1466mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 29g
Green Goodness BBQ'd Turkey Sliders from Canadian Turkey
Quick & Tasty Honey Lemon Rosemary Turkey Tenders from Canadian Turkey
Here is the sneak peek of the vegetarian pizza meatloaf (pizza lentil loaf) going live tomorrow!