When it comes to holidays and special occasions, I love providing loved ones with food! This year I am keeping things simple for Father's Day with these vegetarian home fries using The Little Potato Company's Fingerlings!
This is a sponsored post. I was fortunate enough to receive products and/or monetary compensation from The Little Potato Company. Though products were received, all opinions are my own and I would not recommend a product that I did not enjoy.
As I said in yesterday's post, these vegetarian home fries are not much different from the breakfast home fries! But it is nice to provide a vegetarian alternative, especially one that is so easy to make!
I use Fingerlings, a versatile Creamer potato that shows well in everything from salads to simple roasted dinners! For me, Fingerlings are the true epitome of breakfast. They show really well in any breakfast dish (take a look at my breakfast potato casserole,) and their unique shape is a fun change from traditional home fry recipes.
When it comes to vegetarian dishes, I like to use mushrooms as my protein substitute. Mushrooms have a meat-like texture that work perfectly with Creamer potatoes! I use button mushrooms in this recipe, but you can get fancy and use some shiitake or cremini. You can also double up the quantity to make it more filling (but trust me, these Fingerlings leave you feeling satisfyingly full without any guilt!)
Of course, if you cannot find Fingerlings at your local market, any of The Little Potato Company's Creamer potatoes will work!
That's what I love about them! Versatile, flavorful, and full of nutrients!
Even their Microwave Ready packages would be a hit here as they come with a handy seasoning package that you can substitute for the spices I have listed in the recipe. Perfect for families who are looking for simple and delicious recipes on a busy schedule 🙂
- 1.5 lbs Little Potato Company Fingerling Potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 tbsp. butter + more if needed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- Dried parsley for garnish
- Place potatoes into a microwave-safe dish and heat for 5 minutes, or until fork tender.
- In a large cast iron pan, heat 1 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Once hot, add mushrooms and cook for three minutes. Add potatoes.
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add one tbsp. olive oil along with salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Continue cooking for another 10-15 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown to your liking! If needed, add more butter as you toss the potatoes (need to be tossed more often near the end to prevent burning.) In the last few minutes of cooking, stir in red peppers.
- Garnish with dried parsley if desired!
Pre-cooking the potatoes ensures they cook evenly (without the outside becoming overcooked before the inside is cooked!) You may need more butter as the potatoes fry (add in some when the potatoes seem very dry.)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g