Summer appetizers are the best when they remain simple and tasty! Today's vegetarian mushroom pizza bread is the meatless alternative to yesterday's turkey pizza bread recipe. Time to bring meat-eaters and vegetarians together!
Can we break out the grill yet?!
Looks like we are getting warmer temperatures later this week, but warmer temperatures means RAIN!
Which I am totally cool with except for the fact that Rex brings in muddy paw prints... Guess I can forgive him 😉
I mentioned in the Turkey Pizza Bread post yesterday that we tried grilling outside during the cold front, but it did not work out well as the BBQ could not keep hot! Our BBQ is going on 10 years old, and after talking with some others, I am really leaning towards a wood pellet grill. Maybe after all the pool landscaping is complete we can treat ourselves 😉
Today's vegetarian mushroom pizza bread is another semi-homemade recipe. Do any of you remember that Food Network show with Sandra Lee called Semi-Homemade Cooking? I always thought it was neat that she showcased recipes that were easy and delicious, all the while reassuring you that not everything needs to be completely homemade. I tend to get it in my head that everything needs to be homemade, but sometimes I have to be realistic (baking bread from scratch is a TON of fun, but if I need a loaf ASAP, well, baking is out of the question!)
To make this dish more protein-packed, I used an array of mushrooms (button, portobello, and shiitake.) I even put the extra mushrooms to good use and used them in the meat-version of this recipe! Making the two recipes at once is super simple and it does not feel like you are making two different meals.
I also save time by having some ingredients prepped ahead. Homemade pizza sauce is a staple here, but you can also precook the mushrooms in advance and store them in the fridge. We also like to keep some grated cheese around because no one in this house likes that job!
That is all for this week! I am planning for pink hair again this Friday and maybe getting around to updating my sidebar picture with a new cookie 😉
Vegetarian Mushroom Pizza Bread
An easy weeknight appetizer or perfect for a pool party (can you imagine this on the grill?!) This vegetarian mushroom pizza bread can be made completely homemade or with store-bought ingredients.
- 1 small baguette (about 150 g,) sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 tbsp. plain cream cheese, melted
- 6 tbsp. store-bought or homemade pizza sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 portobello mushroom, quartered and sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped chives for garnish if desired!
- Add oil to a large frying pan and place over medium-high heat.
- Once oil is shimmering, stir in onions, mushrooms, and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Once mushroom liquid has released, stir in garlic, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are browned to your liking. Remove thyme.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line baking sheet with silicone liner or parchment paper for easy clean up!
- Place baguettes onto baking sheet. Smear both pieces evenly with cream cheese mixture. Smooth out 3 tbsp. sauce onto each slice.
- Top both evenly with mushroom mixture and cheese.
- Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove, allow to cool slightly, slice and serve with chives if desired!
Feel free to add any toppings you like (even take some away!) Would make a great recipe on the BBQ. Be sure to checkout the alternative turkey pizza bread!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 345mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g
Sous Vide Onions in Beer from Sip Bite Go
Frozen Ice Cream Dessert Pizza from The Recipe Rebel
Love this vegetarian mushroom pizza bread?! Try some of these recipes:
Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegetarian)
Caramelized Onion-Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Apple
This recipe looks delicious. I will make this for next Wed dinner.
Woohoo! Hope you enjoy it (so easy!!) 🙂