When the cold weather hits, I want comfort food! This homemade vegetarian pizza mac and cheese is sooooo creamy, tasty, and a fun recipe for kids and adults alike!
Another day, another contribution to our #2meals1recipe project!
Doesn't this homemade vegetarian pizza mac and cheese look AMAZING?!
While I could not try the meat version, I have to say, this is by far my favorite mac and cheese I have ever made! Rich, creamy, and it tastes like pizza and mac & cheese!
I consider that a win as I love both meals sooooo much! Cheese is my life and I just cannot live without it 🙂
That being said, when I am really, REALLY craving cheese, I turn to macaroni and cheese.
The recipe is quite straightforward and left to interpretation. If you are a vegetarian that does not mind using fake meats, then I 100% say give them a shot in this recipe! You can also add extra veggies to "beef" up the dish a bit more (I am totally fine the way it is!)
Now, this vegetarian pizza mac and cheese yields A LOT. Since I made this dish the same day as the meat one, I was left to the veggie one on my own. And you can just imagine how many days it took me to eat this... However, if you are making this recipe for a family, well, you will probably still have leftovers, lol. Don't say I did not warn you!
- 1 lb uncooked macaroni pasta (450 g box)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Pinch of red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup butter
- Scant ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- ½ tbsp. coarse whole grain mustard
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup homemade pizza sauce OR store-bought
- ½ lb pizza mozzarella cheese, grated
- ½ lb cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Mac and Cheese
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Stir in onion, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes and stir in garlic. Cook until veggies are tender to your liking, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and chili flakes.
- Lower heat to medium. Add butter. Once melted, stir in flour. Cook, stirring almost constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until browned. It will stick, so put some elbow grease into it!
- Pour in milk and mustard. Stir to get all the brown bits off the bottom of pan. Continue stirring occasionally until thickened and just beginning to bubble. Stir in pizza sauce.
- Carefully and slowly add some of the sauce to the beaten egg, whisking constantly so you do not scramble it. Once combined, add back into pot and add cheese. Give it a good stir.
- Once cheese is melted and smooth, add the cooked pasta, toss well, and serve!
You can prep some of the ingredients ahead of time so you are just left to throw the dish together the day of cooking!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 561Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 623mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 22g