This chocolate chip banana bread with coconut and nuts is my favorite way to use up overly ripe bananas!
A relatively quick post today.
I decided to make a loaf of chocolate chip banana bread as our bananas were at that perfect ripe stage. I usually prefer making the banana bread in muffin form because they cook faster and are the perfect sized snack. However, seeing all these banana bread recipes online, I wanted to try something different, even if my recipe was pretty much identical to my muffin format. To "spice" things up, I added coconut to the batter. It gave the bread a bit of a crunch, while adding a subtle coconut flavor.
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup roughly crushed walnuts
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Cream together the coconut oil and sugars until light and fluffy (basically until the sugars meld together.) Add one egg at a time, waiting to fully incorporate before adding the next. Add in vanilla and bananas: mix until bananas have broken down. Add the flour mixture, chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut. Mix until just combined!
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Start checking around the 55 minute mark.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Even though you would never catch me eating a banana on its own, banana bread is my weakness. But it must contain chocolate! Same goes for my pancakes... I guess I need that sweet element. In all honesty, I cannot remember a time when I had banana bread without chocolate. Pretty sure I only know banana bread as "chocolate chip banana bread." 🙂