Christmas is less than two weeks away! Still thinking about dinner? This slow cooker herb butter inside round roast is made in record time, and people will think you slaved away in the kitchen ALL DAY! Easy, gluten-free, and delicious!
It does not get any easier than this when it comes to recipes. I for one was super impressed with how well my slow cooker did. Inside round roasts are not something I work with very often, but I could not pass up the deal I found. So many plans were made for this roast, but with my busy schedule I decided to use the slow cooker in the end. And so glad I did!
I love my Hamilton Beach 6-Quart Slow Cooker because it comes with a thermometer probe (no affiliation.) No overcooked meat ever when it comes to this appliance. Normally I would have cooked this on low for 4-6 hours, but my probe showed that I only needed 4 hours exactly in the end. This means I totally would have overcooked my meat! See, already worth it! UPDATE: I have made this recipe many times since and the cook time always differs! As of late my one roast only took just over 3 hours to cook. I have made a step-by-step video showing you that this recipe does work, and it is delicious, with my slow cooker cooking the meat to 140F.
I will admit, the other reason I made this slow cooker herb butter inside round roast recipe the way I did was because my mother-in-law said it wasn't the best cut of meat and tends to be tough. Had me panicking! I figure if it was still tough after cooking it to only 140F, then I would not try the cut again. But it all turned out, so trust me, this will be happening again in our house (maybe for New Years as everyone is always looking for simple recipes for the evening.) UPDATE: I find it really does matter where you buy your meat from. My last one was really fatty, where beforehand my cut was very nice. Don't be afraid to spend some money 🙂
- 3 lb boneless inside round roast
- 1 lb carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, halved
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. coarse whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped sage leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Microwave, boil, or steam your carrots and potatoes until tender-crisp. The meat doesn't cook long enough for your veggies to cook fully through unless you chop them SUPER SMALL. You have been warned!
- Season your meat with salt and pepper. Combine butter, garlic, mustard, and sage together in a small mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Add carrots and potatoes into 6-quart slow cooker. Place meat on top of veggies and surround with onion. Rub herb butter on meat. Surround with thyme sprigs.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 3-4 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 140-145F (my slow cooker turns off when it reaches 140F!) Move to cutting board, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice and serve with additional fresh herbs if desired!
If medium-rare is not your thing, continue cooking meat a bit longer 🙂 UPDATE: 3-4 hours is an ESTIMATE! Every slow cooker is different! This is why I recommend the slow cooker I have because it cooks to the internal temperature that I state. Please keep a meat probe nearby if you are worried about overcooking. The quality of meat you buy may also come into play here (there is a reason why people pay for certain cuts/store brands.) Thanks!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g
Every slow cooker is different! I add veggies (pre-cooked somewhat,) to my slow cooker as slow cookers should be quite full. However, since the meat cooks in such little time, your veggies are often left under-cooked. So steam, boil, or microwave them a bit in advance and they should finish in time with your roast 🙂 If you have a smaller slow cooker, you can get away with just the meat in there 🙂