Grilled or oven-baked, these jalapeno popper stuffed chicken breasts are the perfect summer and filled with cheesy goodness! Plus, bacon!
I love, love, love stuffed jalapeno poppers. It seems only fitting that I would eventually make jalapeno popper stuffed chicken! Of course, none for me, but I knew Mr. TCW would love them, and kiddo enjoying them was an added bonus.
I have made jalapeno popper stuffed chicken before but never got around to posting the recipe. Funny because I took pictures too, but they were AWFUL! I can really see a difference in my food photography photos, especially from when I first started the blog. Cringe. Oh well, you have to practice to get better, and that is what I have been doing. It has been fun researching food photography because everyone has their own style. However, one thing is for sure, better photos=better results. People are more likely to click on a photo on Pinterest if it is attractive (I am guilty of this: judging a book by its cover.) It is marketing to the fullest extent, and people want to eat something that looks good.
This being said, I am pretty darn impressed with how these jalapeno popper stuffed chickens turned out. Of course the insides leaked out a bit, but I think if you threw the stuffed chicken into the fridge for a bit before cooking, it would help the insides from melting out. It wasn't horrific, since I put parchment paper on and scooped the melted cheese onto the plate. But if you are really concerned, you can seal the chicken breasts better. For us: we don't care, they will be eaten nonetheless!
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
Craving jalapeno poppers? Try a filling alternative with this bacon-wrapped jalapeno popper chicken breasts!
- 2 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 375 g package bacon (12-15 slices)
- 8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese (one brick)
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3 jalapenos, minced (¼ cup)
- ⅛ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ⅛ cup Panko breadcrumbs (can use all regular breadcrumbs)
- Salt and pepper
- BBQ sauce for topping
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, cumin, paprika, cheddar cheese, and jalapeno.
- Pour breadcrumbs and Panko into a shallow bowl or plate and stir to combine.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Using a sharp knife, cut a slit into each chicken breast (in the thicker part of the chicken.) They should open up to look like a "butterfly." Don't cut all the way through or you will have trouble keeping the mixture inside the chicken. Take the cream cheese mixture and evenly distribute it among the chicken breasts. Secure the mixture in place by returning the chicken breast to its original form (closed.) Roll the chicken breasts into the breadcrumbs, drizzle with BBQ sauce if desired, and wrap each breast in two-three slices of bacon. For added measure, you can secure the chicken with toothpicks but I found the bacon was enough.
- Place onto baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 966Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 324mgSodium: 1834mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 102g
Does this jalapeno popper stuffed chicken taste as good as it looks?! I wouldn't know, but the family sure did gobble them down. Since I have made the recipe multiple times now I am safe to assume it is a keeper!
For a crispier bacon layer, broil the chicken for a couple of minutes when it is completed cooking. You want to make sure your chicken is completely cooked so there is no food poisoning worries. Otherwise, simple recipe that can be made on the grill, or in the oven like we did.
Love these jalapeno popper stuffed chicken breasts?! Try some of these recipes:
Jalapeno Popper Mashed Potatoes
What do you serve along side for the side dishes?
I am so bad at pairing mains and sides. We always have a potato or rice side dish. Even roasted veggies on the BBQ would be nice, or corn on the cob!
Katerina @ Diethood
The stuffing is made up of all my favorite things!! This looks absolutely delicious!
Omg, it is sooo true! No going wrong here 🙂
Michelle De La Cerda
This looks so scrumptious! I need to send this to my SIL right away I know my brother would love this. He is all about things spicy. Yum!
We are big spicy lovers here, too, Michelle! Do it!
Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
I made something similar to this once and my family love it. Ours didn't have bacon though....need to try your version!
Add that bacon, Erin!
Des @ Life's Ambrosia
I love jalapeño popper anything. This looks fantastic!
Same here, Des! I told my husband I need to create something vegetarian to enjoy this 🙂
Andi @ The Weary Chef
I love anything spicy! This should happen in my kitchen soon! 🙂
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama
Oh my gosh! I just love jalapeno poppers, so I am definitely adding this one to my meal plan soon. 🙂 And nice work on the updated photos. I have been trying to go back and do the same for some of my older more popular posts.
It is a lot of work, but so worth it, Carrie! I see more traffic than ever 🙂
cathy | Lemon Tree Dwelling
What is it about stuffed chicken that feels like SUCH a treat? I love all these flavors....such an awesome dinner!
I agree, Cathy! Stuffed chicken just screams gourmet 🙂