Warm and comforting, this cream of broccoli soup is so worth the effort, and it won’t last long! Vegetarian, cheesy, and perfect for winter!
The photos and recipe for this cream of broccoli soup have been updated as of November 27th. 2016!
Okay, I know I said I loved my roasted cauliflower soup recipe and how it is my favourite soup ever. But can I really pick only one favourite?! I mean, for a cream-based soup, it is really good. I mean REALLY delicious. However, there are times I don’t want a cream soup (usually when I am sick in bed.) Then I turn to a nice vegetable soup (thank you Alton Brown for creating such an awesome recipe!) However, I must say, more often than not, I turn to cream-based soups. They are my weakness!
This cream of broccoli soup has been a tradition every year, multiple times throughout the cold months. We all love it with its rich, creamy taste, but full of so much broccoli you cannot miss that distinct flavour. I cannot get enough of this soup! Over the years I have added ingredients, as well as learning not to be too precise with the recipe. I pour the ingredients in without measuring, and I don’t care how much broccoli goes in this recipe, as long as it is jammed packed! I usually use two or three broccoli crowns, depending on the size. So don’t go worrying about measuring out 2 cups of broccoli florets. Throw whatever you have on hand in and prepare to be mesmerized!
Not the healthiest soup, but it sure is delicious!
20 minPrep Time
40 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 lbs broccoli crowns, cut into florets (about 2 large crowns)
- 1 lb carrots, shredded with vegetable peeler and chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (or your preference.)
- 1 tbsp. coarse whole grain mustard
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until aromatic. Pour in the flour and create your roux. You want to cook this for 5-7 minutes, or until the roux darkens in colour (stirring very frequently to prevent sticking.) Deglaze pan with white wine and simmer away for a few minutes.
- Pour in your broth, milk, and cream. Add the broccoli, carrots, nutmeg, mustard and cayenne powder. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the cheese and continue to cook until all the cheese has melted. Serve in a bread bowl or paired with your favourite bread!
(Adapted from Mangio da sola)
I know the traditional approach seems to be to serve this cream of broccoli soup in a bread bowl, but I never get around to it. Once the soup is made I am already pouring it into my bowl and heading off to eat it! I told you cream soups are my weakness!
As I already hinted before, I have made a vegan version of my roasted cauliflower soup recipe that I should be
posting very soon (my vegan roasted cauliflower soup recipe is now up!) I would love to make a vegan version of this soup, but the cheese is a very important factor in the recipe. I finally found nutritional yeast flakes at the store but they were all sold out! I cannot wait to grab a bag because I hear great things about them, especially when it comes to cheese sauces. Maybe they will help me come up with a vegan version of cream of broccoli soup!