Vanilla vs chocolate: which do you choose?! Here is my basic vanilla ice cream recipe (much over-do but I am definitely a chocolate fiend!)
Summer is cruising along nicely and we have had many heat warnings. I figured it was time to break out the ice cream machine again and go a bit more basic. Of course, if basic is not your thing, my Oreos cookies and cream ice cream is doing extremely well! However, there are many who prefer simple, and this basic vanilla ice cream recipe fits the bill perfectly! Personally, I prefer chocolate when it comes to desserts, but with ice cream, I actually prefer a simpler base. Then I can add in a chocolate bar or two as my mix-in and have the perfect balance of vanilla and chocolate 🙂
While chocolate may be my favorite when it comes to dessert, both my brother and sister prefer vanilla. Weirdos, but I guess I can forgive them. This basic vanilla ice cream contains nothing fancy. Meaning, I only used vanilla extract to get that vanilla flavor. Sure, I would love to use vanilla beans or vanilla paste, but I realize that they can be hard to find, and also quite expensive! Don't worry though, because I plan to revisit this recipe in the future and make it gourmet: vanilla bean ice cream! Yummy!
Basic Vanilla Ice Cream
So easy and tasty, this recipe will keep you cool all summer long!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract (pure, not the artificial stuff!)
- Mix together 1 cup of cream and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup of cream and milk in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar and salt and continue to whisk frequently until sugar has dissolved and mixture is very hot (but not boiling!)
- Whisk egg yolks in a mixing bowl until paler in color. Carefully and slowly pour the hot liquid from the stove into the eggs, whisking constantly so you do not curdle the eggs. When fully combined, add the mixture back into the pan and pour in cornstarch mixture. Bring to a hot temperature again (not boiling!,) stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and allow to cool to room temperature (you can stir occasionally to prevent film build up.)
- Cover and place into refrigerate overnight. When time to churn, follow the directions on your ice cream machine. Store in freezer-safe containers and allow to sit out for 5-10 minutes before serving!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 412Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 247mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 6g
When it comes to ice cream, I have to say my favorite is definitely sweet cream. Not quite vanilla flavor as you want to taste the sweetness from the cream and sugar. But it is sweet enough where you can enjoy the ice cream (and add in a favorite chocolate bar for fun!) Sweet cream is actually the reason my husband bought me an ice cream machine because our local ice cream shop that used to carry this flavor closed down. My way is more cost effective AND tastier 😉
Jessica - The Novice Chef
There really is something super special about homemade ice cream! Love this!
I seriously have a really hard time buying store-bought now 🙂
Patricia @ Grab a Plate
This looks like such a treat! I would eat it with a different topping for the entire week (that's how much I love ice cream)! Berries, chocolate, nuts, oats, YUM - so nice!
Patricia, we are the same! Vanilla ice cream with a special topping is the way to go!
Vanilla is classic for a reason! I'm always excited for any reason to bust out the ice cream maker!
Totally agree, Sabrina!
I actually like vanilla, but then again, I like just about any kind of ice cream. This looks delicious!
Haha, you really can NEVER go wrong with ice cream!
Laura at I Heart Naptime
Yum! I love a good, classic vanilla - but I'm totally with you! Add in a chocolate bar for extra fun! (Or, better yet, pour in melted chocolate while it churns to make a stracciata)
Omg, why have I never done this?! Totally on the to-do list (which is never-ending...)
Jenny | Honey and Birch
It's totally time for me to break out my ice cream machine this summer! We love basic vanilla ice cream!
It has been soooo hot; the ice cream machine is our life saver!
Such a classic ice cream flavor... this will beat the heat that we have all been experiencing! hehe