Looking for a relatively healthy, simple, and delicious summer snack?! These baked eggplant pizza crust slices are calling your name! Gluten-free, vegetarian, and all the rage in this house!
Today's baked eggplant pizza crust slices are a long-living recipe in this household that I have finally gotten around to sharing on the blog!
While I was attending university many years ago, I stayed with my aunt and uncle. My aunt would make a very similar dish and to this day I am amazed at how flavorful eggplant is!
Thankfully I live with two people who are not picky at all so we all get to enjoy these baked eggplant pizza crust slices!
Personally, as much as I LOVE eggplant, I do not dig the skin. Not at all. Nothing worse than biting into an eggplant Parmesan sandwich and having to gnaw through that skin... Arg, I hate even thinking about it! Feel free to leave the skin on if you like, but it only takes seconds to remove it.
Many of you know I like making things difficult, but this recipe remains pretty simple! I did use my homemade herb pizza sauce, but your favorite store-bought brand will work here. Also, the meal is completely vegetarian and gluten-free! You can add on some extra veggies if desired 🙂
Baked Eggplant Pizza Crust Slices
A quick and delicious meal that can be made using homemade or store-bought sauce!
- 1 eggplant, skin peeled (mine was about 1 ½ lbs)
- 7 oz mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Trim and remove skin from eggplant. Slice into ¼-1/2 inch slices lengthwise.
- Set onto rack and sprinkle with salt. Flip, and salt other side. Allow to rest for 20-30 minutes, or until water beads out of eggplant (this draws out the bitter flavors!) Pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Layer eggplant onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat. Lightly brush eggplant with olive oil. Place into oven and bake for 10 minutes. Flip: cook for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cover with sauce and cheese. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with chopped chives if desired!
Add any additional veggies you like that would fit onto your "pizza!" Don't skip the salting part: eggplant can be bitter and this helps remove those flavors.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 2-4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 891mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 14g
And honestly, the amount of cheese I use is just an estimate. I just pile it on there until no more fits! 🙂
Love these baked eggplant pizza crust slices?! Try some of these recipes:
Eggplant and Zucchini Lasagna (No Pasta!)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Eggplant Parmigiana but Eggplant Pizza Slices sounds so much more enticing! This seems so easy and delicious.