On the grill or in the oven, these bacon wrapped sausage and zucchini are a great appetizer or side dish to have around!
Today's recipe is something that my husband says he wished he came up with which makes me happy 🙂 He always takes zucchini and sausages camping, but combining the two (not on a sandwich) never occurred to him! Now he can take these bacon wrapped sausage and zucchini with him when he camps and not have to worry about prep or cleanup!
Now, this recipe isn't just for camping. I made them in the oven and they worked out perfectly! Lots of grease, but hey, line that pan with aluminum foil and you have easy cleanup 🙂 And being the Leftover Queen that I am, these bacon wrapped sausage and zucchini were created with the intention of cleaning out the fridge (and it worked perfectly because I had the right number of sausage and zucchini!)
These may be overkill already, but if you are going with a bacon-theme, you should totally pair these with my jalapeno popper stuffed chicken! Or maybe something healthier, haha!
- 3 large zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 6 sausages (we used spicy but choose any flavor you like!)
- 12 slices of bacon
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean up.
- Place a sausage on one zucchini half and use two slices of bacon to wrap the two together. Repeat until none remain. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until sausages are cooked through!
- These would also be great on the BBQ!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 1004mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 18g
These guys held up surprisingly well when sliced. I guess I have some mad bacon-wrapping skills 🙂 Just use a nice sharp knife and allow them to rest a little before slicing.
So, today is a holiday for us Canadians and while I was not going to post, I figured I may as well celebrate with a hearty BBQ meal! But I have more reasons to celebrate in the next few days, and you shall see why!