Cold temperatures are upon us, and this simple vegetable soup with Creamer potatoes will be sure to warm your stomach! Another day, another post as I continue my brand ambassadorship with The Little Potato Company!
I am back with another recipe with The Little Potato Company! This simple vegetable soup stands up to its name. Relatively quick, simple, and full of heartiness, this is perfect for the cold nights (and those colds that I am sure everyone is battling.) Not only is the soup vegan and gluten-free, but it is packed full of nutrients from all those wonderful vegetables.
This time around I opted to use the Dynamic Duo varietal. I had many reasons: I like how these guys come in larger bags (I used the 5 lb bag here.) I also like the mix of red and yellow potatoes, which adds some color to our soup 🙂 And added bonus, we are looking at 12% of our daily fibre and 19% of our daily potassium (source.) The story behind these Little Potatoes is one of interest and delight! Check out the video below to get a full understanding of how The Little Potato Company has come to be!
- 2 lbs Creamer potatoes (I used The Little Potato Company's Dynamic Duo)
- 1 lb carrots, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, cubed
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup roughly chopped napa cabbage
- 8 cups broth (or more if you like an even stockier soup!)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme, left on stalks
- 10 sage leaves, left on stalks
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley
- Olive oil
- In a large pot, add a tablespoon of oil or two and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add in the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomato paste and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring often. Add in all the remaining ingredients except for the potatoes and parsley. Bring to a boil, leave uncovered, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add potatoes and simmer for another hour.
- Remove fresh herbs (that is why we keep them on the stems!) Pour into bowls and serve with fresh parsley!
- *I find using a food processor saves time and effort when chopping the veggies. I also used napa cabbage because the taste is very subtle compared to regular cabbage, so do not exchange the two.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 647Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 1043mgCarbohydrates: 73gFiber: 7gSugar: 16gProtein: 19g
As always, you can use any of The Little Potato Company's varietals (they are all nutritious, fun, and Creamer potatoes, not baby potatoes, making them unique in shape and size!) They fit perfectly into this simple vegetable soup as they retain their colors and are perfectly proportional for the ultimate bite! It is a season of flavors in this simple vegetable soup, and I have had no problems eating it every week so far (yes, I have made it THAT much!) The fresh vegetables and herbs only heighten the flavor!
This is a sponsored post. I was fortunate enough to receive products and monetary compensation from The Little Potato Company. Though products were received, all opinions are my own and I would not recommend a product that I did not enjoy.