As a food blogger, you try so many fantastic recipes, but never really get around to making them again because you are trying to come up with new and creative ideas for the blog. I know many deal with this issue, and I am also guilty of it. I have been going through some of my older recipes and looking to improve my photos. I made this sausage and vodka pasta sauce recipe many months ago and forgot to post it. It is a recipe that Mr. TCW really enjoys, and it is so easy, it is one of those meals that I have made repeatedly.
I know many look for fast and simple recipes, and this sausage and vodka pasta sauce is one of them. There is little cooking time and realistically, you could make the sauce ahead of time and then make the pasta when needed. Don't let the simplicity detour you, this recipe is packed full of bold flavors!
- 1 lb uncooked pasta
- 2-3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 1 lb sausages (I used 5 hot and spicy)
- 2 tbsp. vodka (make sure your vodka is gluten-free for a GF recipe.)
- ¼ - ½ cup cream of your choice (18% and 35% work well, just adjust ratio accordingly.)
- Add olive oil to a large pan and set over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings and crumble into pan with olive oil. Add onions and cook for a couple of minutes or until you see some browning on the sausages.
- Add garlic and continue to cook until the outside of sausage is browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- When sausage is browned, add in dried oregano, diced tomatoes with juice and season accordingly. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until sausage is cooked completely.
- Add vodka and cream and once again bring to a boil. Simmer for a couple of minutes and remove from heat. Cook your pasta in salted water until al dente. Serve with pasta sauce!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1025Total Fat: 57gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1077mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 5gSugar: 8gProtein: 30g
I used hot Italian sausages because Mr. TCW loves spicy. If you are not a spice lover, you could use mild or another type of sausage. Also, ½ tsp. red chili flakes is nothing for us, but others may want to reduce it. Otherwise, the recipe is good to go and sure to please the family! Have a gluten-free guest? Serve the sausage and vodka pasta sauce over gluten-free products and you have a winner!