Winter is coming, and nothing beats comforting soup! I am back with Dairy Farmers of Canada's #CanadianCheese of the month club. Today's roasted red pepper soup with Gouda will surely make you appreciate our cheeses more than ever!
This is a sponsored post. I was fortunate enough to receive products and/or monetary compensation from Dairy Farmers of Canada. Though products were received, all opinions are my own and I would not recommend a product that I did not enjoy!
Let's talk Canadian Cheese!
I hope you have been loving all the cheeses Dairy Farmers of Canada have been showcasing for their #CanadianCheese of the month club! I know we have!
Since beginning this campaign, I have really come to appreciate the work that is put into all these cheeses. Can you imagine life as a cheese judge?! In the past I would have thought it AMAZING! But now I see how hard their job is because no way could I pick just one of these cheeses as my favorite 🙂 Thankfully we get to enjoy them all and really show off how amazing Canadian cheese is!
And once again we have an awesome cheese! Every month I say "this is my favorite," only to be blown away by the following month's cheese!
Today's roasted red pepper soup is made with Sylvan Star Cheese's Grizzly. Hailing from Red Deer, Alberta, Grizzly is an extra-aged Canadian Gouda with a smooth and creamy texture. The cheese itself is produced from the milk of the Schalkwyk family's Holstein dairy cows. Sylvan Star cheese opened in 1999 and since creation they have won many awards for their cheeses (including our star today: Grizzly!)
Grizzly gets its name because of its "bite and power." Another reason to love Canadian cheese so much: they really put thought into their cheese names (remember Dragon's Breath? Totally a fitting name!) Our Canadian Gouda is perfection! Rich with nutty flavors, it makes a great addition to this roasted red pepper soup! I have NEVER had a Gouda like this one. Add this to the list of ever-growing amazing Canadian cheeses you need to try 🙂
Getting down to the nitty-gritty with this roasted red pepper soup, cheese and ingredients do matter. You don't want to mask anything (like Grizzly!) but you also don't want to lack in flavors, either. My sister is a big fan of a certain grocery store's roasted red pepper with smoky Gouda soup and wanted me to attempt a copycat recipe. I am all for it; but with such a decadent Canadian cheese, I figure having my own twist is just as delicious!
To save time, you can easily sub in jarred roasted red peppers. I also like roasting my tomatoes, but you can skip that step as well 🙂 This roasted red pepper soup is really forgiving so don't feel like you need to measure out every single ingredient. When I cook, I just throw things in 🙂 A bit of extra Grizzly in my soup is A-Okay with me!
Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Gouda
Our Canadian Gouda will take your roasted red pepper soup to an entirely new level!
- 2.5 lbs red peppers, halved and seeds removed OR jarred red peppers
- 2 lbs tomatoes, halved, and stems removed
- ¾ - 1 cup Sylvan Star Cheese's Grizzly Gouda
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh basil if desired!
- If roasting your own red peppers, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place peppers cut-side down onto baking sheet. Place in oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl and cover, allowing to cool. Remove skin from peppers (cooling them in a covered bowl makes peeling them so much easier!)
- If roasting tomatoes, place onto same baking sheet, cut-side down, and roast for 20-25 minutes.
- Add oil to a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onion, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until aromatic. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add potato, peppers, tomatoes, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes, uncovered.
- Blend soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot, stir in salt, pepper, and cheese. Stir in cream. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Serve with additional cheese, fresh basil, and grilled cheese if desired 🙂
You can roast the tomatoes and peppers together to save time! Jarred red peppers will work, too.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 248mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 6gSugar: 16gProtein: 11g
Love this roasted red pepper soup with gouda?! Try some of these recipes:
Cheesy Broccoli-Cauliflower Risotto
Leave a Reply