Summer is coming to an end and I still have some rhubarb hanging around! This honey-rhubarb banana bread uses fresh rhubarb puree and Nude Bee Honey Co.'s Blueberry Honey! A great back-to-school treat!
This is a sponsored post. I was fortunate enough to receive products and/or monetary compensation from Nude Bee Honey Co. Though products were received, all opinions are my own and I would not recommend a product that I did not enjoy!
Why have one banana bread when you can have two?!
Okay, do we really need more banana bread recipes?
The answer is: yes!
Seriously, I feel a banana bread craze coming on at some point. Probably the most beginner recipe for new bakers. And basically fool-proof 🙂
Today's honey-rhubarb banana bread recipe is in partnership with Nude Bee Honey Co. You all know how much I love their honey! When I began making this honey-rhubarb banana bread, my focus was on the rhubarb. My neighbor had given me a bunch and I wanted to use it up before it wilted.
Side note: rhubarb freezes well! I tend to keep a bag in my freezer for future use 🙂
Then I thought about the honey rhubarb ice cream I have made in the past and thought honey would be a great substitute to sugar in this recipe!
And that is how this honey-rhubarb banana bread came together 🙂
One thing I want to point out: the rhubarb topping. Make sure to toss those rhubarb pieces in some honey. I left them sugar-free the first time and when I picked off one to try after baking in the oven, I was met with bitterness! I just thought that it would absorb some sweetness from the bread. Turns out I was wrong, haha! So yes, anywhere you use the rhubarb, it needs some sweetness to help out!
Which is not a bad thing because we are all about this Blueberry Honey and not masking it! I like to drizzle excess honey onto my slices to enjoy that rich flavor 🙂 A nutritious snack that is healthy and delicious!
PS: With the cooler weather coming, it is nice to have some honey on hand for hot tea! You never know what you will be fighting this winter!
- 4 oz sliced, fresh rhubarb (do not use the leaves, they are toxic!) + 2 tbsp. finely chopped rhubarb
- 1.5 oz rhubarb puree
- 2 tbsp. Nude Bee Honey Co.'s Blueberry Honey
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup Nude Bee Honey Co.'s Blueberry Honey
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened toasted coconut
- To make the rhubarb puree, add some sliced rhubarb to a food processor and puree until smooth. Measure out 1.5 oz.
- Combine two tablespoons finely chopped rhubarb with one tablespoon honey.
- Combine sliced rhubarb with one tablespoon honey. Toss and set aside.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 9x5x2 bread loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Cream together the coconut oil and sugars until light and fluffy (basically until the sugars meld together.) Add one egg at a time, waiting to fully incorporate before adding the next. Add in vanilla, rhubarb puree, and bananas: mix until bananas have broken down. Add the flour mixture, toasted coconut, marinated rhubarb slices. Mix until just combined!
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Top with finely chopped rhubarb pieces (try to drain off excess liquid.) Place into oven and bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean (begin checking around the 55 minute mark.)
- Cool in pan until you can handle with your hands and turn out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool before slicing (if you can wait that long!)
Toasted coconut is super simple to make and my tutorial can be found here: https://thecookiewriter.com/tutorial-make-toasted-coconut/
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 78gFiber: 3gSugar: 53gProtein: 5g