A step-by-step tutorial on how to make your own homemade flour tortillas!
20 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
25 minTotal Time
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. shortening
- 3/4 cup hot water (you want to melt the solids.)
- Sift flour and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on low until combined (I used the paddle attachment, but the dough attachment would work, too.)
- Add the shortening and mix until dough is crumbly and evenly distributed. Slowly add the hot water with the mixer on medium-low. When all the water is added, allow the mixer to continue for about a minute or so. The dough should be pliable and somewhat sticky (not overly so, but you will be rolling it out onto a floured surface.
- Sprinkle flour onto your countertop. Pour out the dough and knead it shortly, separating into 12 even balls. Place the dough balls back into the bowl and cover with a towel, allowing to sit for 10 minutes.
- Add more flour to your counter if necessary. Roll out one ball of dough at a time, working from the centre, outwards. You want them really thin, basically translucent. Have a damp cloth or paper towel ready to put the rolled dough under (you don't want them drying out.) When I have about 3 or 4 rolled out, I begin to heat my frying pan over medium (it takes me longer to roll out a tortilla then it does to cook one!)
- When the pan is nice and hot, add one tortilla and wait until it begins to bubble. about 20 seconds, and then flip, cooking the other side until bubbly and browned slightly. Remove from heat and place under a dry towel. Repeat until all tortillas are cooked, continuing to stack the tortillas under the towel.
- To store, place tortillas into a Ziploc bag and seal. They can remain on your counter for a couple of days.