If poutines are my favorite Canadian savory food, then butter tarts are definitely my favorite Canadian dessert! If you have some extra tarts hanging around, this homemade butter tart banana bread is a great way to use up those leftovers!
I feel weird posting about banana bread in this heat.
When I think banana bread, I think of autumn and back-to-school. Comfort food that is great for breakfast, snack, or dessert!
But with Canada Day coming up, I want to celebrate with all things butter tart related! Queue this homemade butter tart banana bread 🙂
And let's just say that it is really hard to go back to traditional banana bread!
In no way would I deem this recipe healthy, lol. I mean, even on a good day my banana bread is not the healthiest, but this one is just loaded with sugary goodness! A treat for the cooler months (or a celebratory long weekend!)
To be honest, this homemade butter tart banana bread came to life after obtaining too many butter tarts. I spoke about it last week in my butter tart cookies recipe. It is hard to imagine too many butter tarts, but that was the case here! I really do love them, but even my sweet tooth has enough after a while!
I get that I am still eating butter tarts in this banana bread, but much like other leftover recipes, it tricks your brain into moving past the same food over and over again! That's why leftovers don't go to waste here 🙂
Honestly, besides tasting extremely delicious, this homemade butter tart banana bread looks gorgeous! I am so happy I cut up a butter tart to place on top of the bread before baking. It shows off so well and allows people to know what this bread is all about before even taking a bite. In the future I may add some extra pecans to the batter, but each butter tart contained enough for my liking.
On that note, if your butter tarts have no pecans, you can add raisins or leave them as is! Hot debate about raisins and pecans in butter tarts here in Canada 😉
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, room temperature
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 medium-sized bananas, peeled
- 3 butter tarts, two roughly chopped and one sliced
- ½ cup roughly chopped pecans (if desired!)
- Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Cream together the coconut oil and sugars until light and fluffy (basically until the sugars meld together, about 5 minutes.) Add one egg at a time, waiting to fully incorporate before adding the next. Add in vanilla and bananas: mix until bananas have broken down. Add the flour mixture, chopped butter tarts, and pecans (if using.) Mix until just combined!
- Pour into loaf pan and arrange sliced butter tarts on top. Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Start checking around the 55 minute mark.
Start checking the bread around the 55 minute mark as you do not want to overcook it.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 361Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 293mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
Chai Spiced Banana Bread from Eggs.ca
Banana Bread from fraiche