Canada Day is around the corner and butter tarts are a staple here! These butter tart cookies take pre-cooked butter tarts and add them to raw dough, resulting in one delicious baked cookie 🙂
The first official day of summer is next week, and that means school is coming to an end!
And right behind that is our famous Canada Day weekend!
I have a couple of more Canadian recipe twists lined up, and figured I better get on posting them sooner than later!
Yesterday’s grilled balsamic mushroom-potato kabobs are already vegan, so no need to share a meat alternative (you can surely add meat if you desire!) So posting a dessert recipe is quite fitting as I LOVE dessert, and I have not been posting many sweets lately.
This idea came to me when we were dealing with too many butter tarts. TOO MANY?!
Yes, it does happen 😉 I mean, I can eat them every day, but I have to be realistic with my sugar intake.
So I went on a butter tart recipe fusion-spree! And the results are amazing!
While it may seem too hot to make these butter tart cookies, I assure you, it never is 😉 However, they make for a great dessert all-year-round (Christmas in July anyone?!)
Now, you can use homemade or store-bought butter tarts here. You can also choose whether you want to use raisins or pecans.
Did you know this is a HUGE debate in Canadian food cuisine? I personally do not like raisins at all and feel they should not be in a butter tart. Some agree, some don’t. I’ll just say, go with what YOU like! Heck, mix in both! Raisins are definitely WAY cheaper than pecans so if budget is in order, stick with the raisins 🙂
Yields 3 dozen
Whether using homemade or store-bought butter tarts, these butter tart cookies will surely please the crowd!
10 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped + more for topping
- 2-3 butter tarts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Add sugars and butter to bowl of your stand mixer. Beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg. Mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and beat for a couple of more minutes.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add to wet ingredients and mix until JUST combined.
- Fold in chopped butter tarts and pecans.
- Measure out one tablespoon-sized portions and place onto baking sheet (12 to a sheet.) Top each cookie with a pecan halve.
- Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving to cooling rack.
Start with two butter tarts and see if a third is needed (it will really depend on size here!)
Need something to pair this meal with?! Here are my recommendations:
Traditional Maritime Clam Chowder from Adopted Tomato
Coffee Cake Muffins from Tiny Sweet Tooth