Matcha green tea shortbread cookies…
I know, it sounds strange, but it works!
If you are a fan of matcha powder (a big thing in the health world right now,) then you will love these cookies! I know the cookies themselves are not very healthy (hello, butter!) but it is a great way to get the matcha powder into you if you don’t care for tea or smoothies. I used my basic shortbread cookie recipe and added the matcha powder to it. The base recipe is so good I knew these had to turn out. Plus, I always make shortbread cookies at Christmas and I now believe I have found a cool alternative to the Grinch Christmas cookies! These cookies have a lovely shade of green with no added food colouring, so keep that in mind!
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour (1 tbsp. removed.)
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 tbsp. matcha powder
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, add all of the ingredients and mix until well combined. Measure out 1 tablespoonful sized portions and roll into balls. Press down slightly on each cookie ball.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until bottom of cookies are lightly brown (do not over bake!!)
- Cool on pan for about 5 minutes and then move to wire rack.
Now, these cookies are not for everyone. Matcha powder has a unique flavour (we love it here!) But some people just do not like it, and that is understandable. But for the people who do love matcha powder, give these cookies a try! Not healthy at all but at least you are getting the benefits of the matcha!
I saw on another site where someone rolled their uncooked cookie dough in granulated sugar before baking. I tried that with a couple but found we stilled preferred the “plain” cookies. Give it a try though, it does add a nice crispiness to them.