A bold array of chipotle peppers and lime juice makes this chipotle and lime chicken in the slow cooker a fantastic dinner for the spice-lover in your life!
The photos and recipe for this chipotle and lime chicken in the slow cooker has been updated as of February 17th, 2016!
I have been searching for chipotles in adobo sauce forever! There are so many recipes I have seen fly by that I have wanted to try but couldn’t because I was missing a key ingredient. Well, I finally found them!! My sister has been searching, too, as she has wanted to make her own chipotle sauce. When I found the chipotles in adobo sauce, I took a picture and instantly sent them to her. Muahaha, I am evil, but she was quick on her feet and grabbed her own supply. While she has not worked with her cans yet, I immediately dived into a recipe that would standout and truly test these chipotles. Today’s recipe is chipotle and lime chicken in the slow cooker.
I am so happy with how this recipe turned out! As I was making the sauce I started to get a little nervous. It was spicy! We love spicy foods, but I did not want to turn my daughter off chicken! Adding more honey was the best decision I could make, and as it cooked with the chicken, the flavours mellowed out with the chicken juice (well, that is according to Dan who actually ate the meal.) There were no complaints from Éowyn so I am going to say it was not overly spicy at all, but be aware, these canned chipotles do pack a punch!
Cooking whole chickens in the slow cooker is a great method, and if you have a built in thermometer like mine has, you don’t have to worry about overcooking your meat. I gave a general 6-8 hours on low as the cooking time in the instructions, but I would advise checking your chicken around the 5 hour mark just to be safe! This chipotle and lime chicken in the slow cooker is great as is, but can easily be browned up by placing the completed chicken under the broiler in your oven. I broiled mine and may have gone a bit overboard, but hey, no one complained!
If you do decide to add the veggies to the slow cooker with your chicken, make sure you cut them pretty small or you will have under-cooked veggies when your chicken is finished cooking. If that is the case, remove the chicken and continue cooking the veggies in the sauce until soft.
This chicken has a kick to it, but if you have small children to feed, the inner breast meat should be a-okay!
10 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 lbs)
- 1 (6.5 oz) can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1/2 lb carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 celery, diced
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed small (if they are too large they will not cook through)
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Place your potatoes, carrots, and celery into your slow cooker. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, combine the chipotles, onion, garlic, honey, lime juice, cumin, salt and pepper. Process until combined. Pour over chicken and veggies and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until chicken reaches 160F.)
- *For a crispier, and browner chicken, place under oven broiler after internal chicken reaches 160F.
- **If you cut your veggies too large and they are still crunchy, leave them in the slow cooker on high heat while the chicken rests on a cutting board.
With the summer heat around the corner (or if you are like us, here right now!) a lot of people do not want to be using their stoves (or cooking in general!) This chipotle and lime chicken in the slow cooker is basically hands-free cooking for the day and no worries about heating your house with the oven. Load up your rice cooker and you have a complete dinner that is heat-free!