More times than not we need a side dish to complement our meal, but this whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker saves you the hassle of having to cook more! One solid meal that will surely provide leftovers (and not heat your house this summer!)
Hey everyone! The Cookie Writer is back to share with you a meal that is both effective in the summer, and one that will provide great sustenance during the school year.
(Look at those juices!)
I am talking about whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker. Yes, rice can be cooked in the slow cooker and it yields great results! I lived off instant rice growing up and have graduated to standard rice types, but it is nice when a meal utilizes that quick-cooking advantage. Even in my rice cooker, plain white rice can take around 40 minutes to cook. I knew that with this whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker I would need to revisit my childhood love and throw it into this meal. Nothing wrong with instant rice! I bet you won’t even notice the difference in the end.
Whole chickens have been a favourite of mine recently to cook in the slow cooker because they are constantly on sale. It doesn’t make sense to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts when you can cook a whole chicken for under $6. Not only that, but whole chickens give diversity. When I did eat meat, I preferred the breast pieces, but my husband and mother both prefer dark meat. A whole chicken can really bring a family together, especially if people are diverse in their chicken meat preferences!
With both the humid temperatures and back to school upon us, this whole chicken and rice in the slow cooker really utilizes your time. Basically no prep, and once everything is combined, you are hands-free. You can easily add more veggies to your rice, but we kept it simple here with onions. 99% of the time, when my chicken is finished in the slow cooker, I will put it under the broiler in the oven. You don’t have to but this gives the chicken a nice, crispy skin (something that does not happen in the slow cooker on its own.)
A quick throw-together meal that is perfect for back to school!
10 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3-4 lb whole chicken, any inside parts removed
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (10 oz each) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 oz) can condensed cream of cheddar soup (or another can of cream of chicken soup)
- 2 cups instant rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 medium-sized onion, diced
- Combine all the sauce and rice ingredients into a 6-quart slow cooker. Mix until combined. Place whole chicken on top and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until chicken reaches 160F.
- If desired, move chicken to an over safe pan and broil chicken until skin is nice and crispy.
- Note: My slow cooker comes with a probe so I set the appliance to cook the chicken to 160F.
See this recipe on Julie’s Eats & Treats where I am a contributor!