Autumn is finally here, so let’s enjoy this slow cooker peanut butter chicken recipe! Packed full of aromatic and flavourful ingredients, you will be awed at how easy this meal is 🙂
I feel like I am kind of cheating with today’s post. It goes back to my Asian inspired chicken leg quarters that my husband and daughter LOVE. My husband has stated that it is probably his most favourite meal, and that means a lot 🙂
Usually in the blogging world you do not have the chance to revisit recipes too often, but since they love the above so much, I try and get it in at least once a month. To change things up, I decided to adapt the original recipe to create slow cooker peanut butter chicken! I guess I did not realize in the beginning how much of the peanut butter flavour comes through.
Easy and made in the slow cooker?! Yes, please! I used bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (my personal favourite as you can see in many of my previous posts.) You can easily use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, or any other cut you like! However, since I decided this slow cooker peanut butter chicken was going to be shredded, I went with the bone-in to add more flavour (no denying it, that bone keeps the meat juicy!) You could serve the chicken whole, but much like my fiesta salsa chicken in the slow cooker recipe, I find either method works 🙂
So, will you leave this slow cooker peanut butter chicken whole, or will you shred it?! I find the shredded version gives more variety as the meat is great over rice, in salads, or even sandwiches! Endless possibilities and it makes for a great leftovers recipe (because some of us get bored eating the same meal three days in a row!)
A wonderful balance of flavours, this meal can be left whole or shredded for soups, sandwiches, and rice!
10 minPrep Time
8 hrCook Time
8 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 - 4 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (use GF for gluten-free recipe.)
- 2 tbsp. chili garlic sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Freshly squeezed juice from half a lime
- 1 tbsp. coarse whole grain mustard
- 1/2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- Place chicken into a 6-quart slow cooker (trying your best to get it into a single layer.) Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine sauce ingredients into a small bowl. Whisk until well combined. Pour over chicken, cover, and cook for 3-4 on high, or 6-8 on low. Chicken is finished when the internal temperature reaches 160F.
- Carefully remove bones from chicken and shred. Serve over rice, salad, or on a sandwich!
You can use boneless, skinless chicken breasts here, but you definitely want to keep an eye on cook time.
I feel as though I am panicking! October is all about Halloween and I have my ideas in mind, but it takes time to make them. Add on top of that that we all celebrate birthdays in October, Canadian Thanksgiving, and the FBC 2016 Food Bloggers Conference… Panic! I am sure it will all work out in the end… I hope!