One of my most popular soup recipes gets a makeover (and a new cooking technique!) This slow cooker coconut curry soup is vegan, gluten-free, and fully nutritious!
I absolutely adore my coconut curry soup over vermicelli rice noodles recipe! It is simple, flavourful, and good for you! Cooking the curry paste for a bit over moderate heat really brings out the flavours and only enhances this dish!
That being said, as simple as it is, I know people are always looking for something easier. The slow cooker seemed really appropriate for this dish, but it took me this long to give it a shot! But hey, at least it turned out perfectly!
Overall, the soup doesn’t need to be cooked long. The carrots are the biggest “killer” as they take the longest. I still recommend 6 hours on low heat minimum so you don’t end up with super crunchy carrots. A bit is nice, but in a soup like this, I prefer the softer textures.
Another thing to note in this slow cooker coconut curry soup is the addition of baby bok choy. You want to add the sliced white stems immediately. They need time to soften. However, save the green leafy part until closer to the end of cooking. They don’t take long to cook at all and this way they won’t disintegrate. I added my peppers at the beginning of cook time and they were perfect.
If you told me 15 years ago I would be in love with curry, I am not sure I would have believed you. As I have grown older (and wiser!) I have learned that there are many, many different curries out there. And homemade is so amazing! But we don’t all have time for that, so I totally recommend massaman curry paste. It is flavourful, bold in colour, and really adds a lot to this dish.
Of course, use your favourite curry paste (and make sure to let me know what you like so I can give it a try!)
A light and refreshing soup that is completed in less than 30 minutes, the addition of snap or snow peas would be perfect!
15 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 15 Total Time
- 400 mL can unsweetened coconut milk
- 250 g vermicelli whole grain rice noodles
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 orange pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 medium-sized zucchini, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 carrots, sliced into matchsticks
- 3 tbsp. massaman curry paste OR hot curry paste
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 10 basil leaves left on stalks
- 3 baby bok choy, stalks sliced, leaves chiffonade
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger, left whole
- Salt and pepper
- Add all ingredients except the noodles and leafy parts of bok choy to a 6-quart slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours, or until carrots are softened to your liking. *Make sure to add the green bok choy leaves in the last hour of cooking.
- Serve over rice noodles!
Cook time may vary depending on size of veggies.
I would definitely consider this a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner (or even lunch!) And it is great because the slow cooker does all the work (meaning this could work as an appetizer while you create the main star!)