Summer recipes are all about being quick and simple and these pork chops with green beans in the slow cooker fit the bill perfectly!
I am all about the slow cooker on really hot days! No one wants to heat their house with the oven, and there are just some days that I do not want to BBQ (well, to be honest, I prep all the BBQ stuff and then my husband does all the cooking!) Utilizing the slow cooker more throughout the summer not only saves you from heating the house, but it allows you all the extra time with the kiddos 🙂 It is also a great way to clear out the fridge!
These pork chops with green beans in the slow cooker were created because my greens beans definitely needed to be used up (some minor imperfections but hey, still good!) Pork chops and mushrooms always pair well together so I had to use cream of mushroom soup here 🙂 Now, I do tend to sear my meat before placing it into the slow cooker. With pork chops you don’t really have to but it does give them colour and flavour. If you choose not to sear your meat, you will want to add on some cook time just to ensure they are cooked through. And remember, the thickness of the meat will come into play when it comes to cook time (it is hard to give an exact cook time with a slow cooker since everyone’s differs!)
If mushrooms are not your thing, don’t worry! My family did not find it too mushroomy, but you can always use another condensed soup flavour. These pork chops with green beans in the slow cooker are meant to be easy and versatile to fit every family’s needs!
Slow cooker meals are totally awesome in the summer, but cook time depends on thickness of your meat!
15 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 15 Total Time
- 4 lbs pork loin centre chops (bone-in)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed
- 8 oz button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red or orange pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (10 oz each) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Place a large frying or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add in olive oil and when shimmering, place in pork chops (I had 6 total so I worked in three batches.) Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, or until golden brown. Flip and repeat. Place directly into slow cooker.
- Mix all sauce ingredients. Add the mushrooms, beans, and pepper to the slow cooker. Pour sauce over top (I actually layered all my ingredients but it is up to you!) Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours, or low for 5-7 hours (it all depends on the thickness of your meat: mine were thin and cooked in 3 hours.
- Serve over rice or quinoa!
We used bone-in pork chops for this recipe, but boneless would work, too. Just remember to watch that cook time! For meals like this, I highly suggest the bone-in cut because not only does it add flavour, but it also helps keep the meat moist. Whatever works for you! During the summer months I feel pork chops go on sale a lot so not only is this meal easy, but cheap, too! I also feel the picture above is bringing out the geek in me because all I see is a Star Trek insignia!