A great way to use up leftover chicken and pasta sauce is to make these mini pizzas on English muffins!
This is not the first time I have brought up mini pizzas on English muffins, and it will probably not be the last! My family would make these the day after spaghetti dinner because we would utilize the sauce on the pizzas. Two meals for the price of one!
Over the years the recipe has been adapted, sometimes using store-bought sauce, sometimes using homemade sauce. But what stays the same is the memory. My sister, brother, and I still love these mini pizzas and will continue to carry on the tradition with our children. That being said, my brother and I definitely make these more often than my sister, but rest assure, she has no issues free loading! Today’s recipe is actually inspired by her love for chicken and BBQ sauce.
One of the biggest issues facing home chefs and parents is how to utilize leftovers. Sure, reheated leftovers are okay, but taking them a step further can lead to a whole new meal (and cut out the worrisome of becoming bored with the same thing day in and day out.) It is not uncommon for me to cook a whole chicken here, and one of my favourite recipes to make is homemade chicken stock from the leftover carcass. However, sometimes we have leftover chicken meat and while pasta, salad, and sandwiches sound wonderful, they are not always ideal (psh, lets be honest, Dan won’t touch a salad!) Incoming BBQ chicken mini pizzas on English muffins!
I totally did not BBQ the chicken but thought the title was appropriate because my sister and I are those weirdos who enjoy BBQ sauce on our pizzas… Yes, it works! I even place it on frozen store-bought pizzas before I bake them! Don’t knock it until you try it 🙂
- Pack of 6 English muffins, sliced in half (creating 12 "crusts")
- Cheese of your choosing, grated
- Leftover spaghetti sauce (or try my herb pizza sauce below!)
- Leftover turkey or chicken
- BBQ sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. This will make cleanup easier if your cheese melts onto the pan. Lay out your English muffin halves onto the baking sheet (you may need more than one pan.)
- Spread desired amount of sauce onto each slice of English muffin. Add chicken and top with cheese. Drizzle with BBQ sauce if desired.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Allow to cool slightly before serving (trust me!)
- *For a crispier crust, lightly toast the English muffins before placing sauce and toppings on.
Mini pizzas on English muffins are perfect for your lunch, or your children’s. Shockingly, I have yet to make these for my daughter’s school lunch! Time to stop slacking (or catering to her need for pasta) and give her an awesome lunch (if I do not eat them all first!)